To all my fellow RNs in the trenches and those that have left the trenches but are forever nurses, HAPPY NURSES WEEK!!
The one week we are celebrated for all that we do. Several years ago our hospital did away with celebrating nurses week and it was Patient Care Services Week. Now I'm not saying that I don't think everyone deserves to be celebrated but it was a let-down. I couldn't do my job without the support of the PCAs, UCs, SWs, RTs, etc but lets set up a week for each individually. so now we have a week to ourselves again and they really do a great job celebrating for us.
so I need to say Thank you to all of the nurses I have worked with and consider my mentors. You have all helped me to grow and learn in my profession and in many ways blazed the trail I am on. Thank you for all your love and support over the years. To the nurses that are now coming after me. I hope you love this profession as much as I do. I have learned so much from you also. Your questions keep me thinking and fresh. You look at things through fresh, and sometimes innocent eyes that unfortunately in my case may be scarred from years of dealing with the BS that goes along with this job.
Thank you also to my patients and their families. I find you so inspiriing. You are truly heroes in my eyes.
As much as I love my job my one piece of advice for the newer nurses is to realize that there is so much more to life than your job. It may sometimes feel like that is all there is and that every disease lurks around the corner. But we deal with a relatively small percentage of the population of this wonderful world. Don't let the BS and the docs get to you. We are in a wonderful profession. I am so grateful.
3 comments:
Very beautiful Lisa! I admire your intense devotion and love for our field of Nursing! I wish that I could get my little new nurse around you to catch some of the fervor you have. I'm so afraid that my "burn out" will be a hinderance to her. I try to hide it from her but I know she can see it!
She was so funny when she had her wisdom teeth out. She got a dry socket and said, "Oh, Mom! I am going to get endocarditis and need a valve replacement!" I told her woah! Be the patient and stop analyzing everything!
Hi Lisa...
I agree with your thoughts on Nurses Week. I just spent 3 1/2 months in the hospital waiting for and receiving a brand new/used heart. Most of that time was in step-down with the most amazing nurses who never made me feel humiliated or ashamed of anything they had to do for me. (I spent a month with an external biVAD).
I am so grateful for the nursing care that I received and I wish all of you nurses out there a wonderful nurses week.
Congratulations on getting your "new" heart Sarah! I'm glad us nurses could help you through!
Post a Comment