Worked 3 12-hr shifts in a row over the weekend and the only positive is that I had great staffing for a holiday weekend!
Started out Saturday morning withdrawing support on this little boy! Just a tragic, tragic story! Then to make it worse I am calling in the death to the organ donation people and he is 5 days older than my son! Talk about hitting home! Then later in the day had the first brain death exam for a 3 month old. Sunday come in and it was okay in the morning. Then get a call that we are getting not one but TWO kids that were full arrests with an inital pH 6.5-6.8! Only healthcare workers will appreciate when we thought "Are we running a special!?" Social nightmare on one case also! Second brain death exam on the one baby and withdrew support on that one as we are working our A** off to save one of the other ones! Thank goodness these two days we had great fellows on for support and our attending was wonderful!
Then to add to Sunday night DH brought DS in to have his ears checked. Yeah has an ear infection! Get the prescription filled and am on my way home when get call from DH that his car died less than a mile from our house! So have to pay to get that towed, less than a mile! UGH!!! Hopefully its just the alternator!
Monday drag my butt into work for the last day! So ready for the weekend to be over! Not happy when I see the fellow that is working today! Drives me nuts! Always has a comment or suggestion for everything! Whether its just to hear himself talk or what! Then at 0830 get a call about a heart patient they want to get transferred from out of state! Its a freaking holiday so of course none of the appropriate people are around to arrange it, found out that the transfer is not going through proper channels, etc! Like I have time to deal with this! My least favorite supervisor on so all staff meetings were painful! Then finally the first bit of comic relief of the day! If you do not understand nursing humor and its sick nature please read no further!
I am at lunch and the ED charge nurse calls me to tell me that they have an intubated, unresponsive 15-yr old coming in! I told her, "You know this is the third unresponsive child we have gotten from you guys in 24 hours! What gives?!" Her reply, "Well this one was never dead!" Okay I am sure some of you are horrified but you gotta release the tension somehow! Now luckily this patient is doing fine and will hopefully continue to do fine!
So I get home after stopping at the grocery store (since I won't have a car to go anywhere) and flop into bed! Look forward to waking up this morning and having a relaxing, self-indulgent morning! Well my mojo is off b/c I wake up with a killer kink in my neck and a migraine! so the curse of the weekend continues!
So hence it truly is Survival of the Fittest or I just gotta make it through the day!
5 comments:
oh my!!
But yes, I get it!!! In fact I laughed out loud at the *This one was never dead" comment. I can so hear me saying that!!
My weekend was similar but I did have Monday off. A restful day off does manage to revive the soul. Enjoy
i thought you would appreciate that since it came from an ED nurse!
I feel much better today! Yesterday just must have been the recharge day!
Glad to hear you're feeling a bit better. To say you had one of those weekeds is an understatement! How you do what you do ~ you're AMAZING!!!
Wow... makes me realize how lucky I am to be in a room full of adolescent hormones!
Hope the rest of the week was better!
Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?
Is it you with the black cloud, or someone else on the unit? Good lord, that's a bunch of dead kids to deal with.
Since we're venting, I got cancelled this morning. Told I didn't have to come in, BUT-I have no vacation time yet, so no work means no pay. Now, when it's December and I have vacation time, I'll never be cancelled, because it'll be RSV season. Ah, well. Anyway, glad your weekend is over. Get some rest.
Post a Comment