Friday, November 16, 2007

An F-Bomb kind of day!

Well I came to a conclusion today on my way into work. My commute is bad for me! I have developed a mild case of road rage related to my now 40 minute commute instead of 20 minutes! EVERYONE pisses me off about something and my horn and I have become friends! I am amazed out how all the common courtesy of allowing one car in every other car has disappeared the majority of time. Didn't everyone learn that rule? I mean come on! so you get one car length ahead! WOW!!! Then following merge signs! Get a grip! It says your lane ends and you must merge.... Not speed up so you can beat the person who has the right of way! And why? so you can get one car length ahead!

So I get into work with it being my second day in charge. We have 33 beds in our unit. I had two post-op heart surgery patients to get in so I was left with ONE open bed! And guess where it was? In our positive flow area where we put our immunocompromised patients. What difference does that make? Well I could only put a non-infectious kid back there b/c we had a cancer patient in one of the rooms! As flu and virus season hits not likely that it would be my lucky day and have a non-infectious kid need the room! Crisis #1! So I go to the residents/fellow/attendings. No actually I ambushed them at the elevators as they returned from x-ray rounds and told them to get the transfer orders in ASAP b/c we needed beds! Crisis #2 pretty much averted with that move b/c they actually obeyed me! I had 8 transfers written before 0830 which is unheard of! Thats pretty much the end of the good news! So the day goes on with many FBombs dropped b/c I was cranky and in charge and my BFF was cranky and tired and we tend to feed off each others moods. I actually ended up getting 14 patients discharged. Not bad you might say! Even impressive! Well let me tell you it was far from that! Because we still got admissions. Had an ill call at 6pm of someone supposed to be showing up at 7pm! AND the kids we still had on the unit got sicker! Pretty much all of them had bad days!F**K I tell you! I was leaving them with 8 empty beds but only one nurse that could safely take another patient! So what will that mean? We'll probably end up with 5 admissions and no nurses to properly take care of them! Will we? Of course we will b/c we always manage to make it work but I hate when we have to make it work and can't give the 100% excellent care we normally give. It will probably drop to about 90%. No family would probably notice but the little things will get missed and sometimes that is enough to just tip your mood into the wrong direction! And it wasn't taking me much to get tipped today! I have never been so glad to get out of there!

So I am driving home and decide I am starved at 8:30 at night so I'm going to get me some McDonald's french fries and milk shake, maybe even a cheeseburger. But that didn't happen b/c their computer went down and I couldn't use my debit card! F**K I say! So I ended up with a hot dog and blizzard from Dairy Queen! Not what I wanted and not what I should have been eating but good still the same! And I get home and I am trying to tell DH how bad my day was and he gets that glazed look to his eyes b/c he really has no clue what my job entails. I wish he could follow me around on days like today and see how bad it can be! I pause for a little while and then start to tell him about McDonald's and he cuts me off telling me I had 4 more minutes to B***H and then he was cutting me off b/c he couldn't take it anymore! CRAZINESS I tell you!

So as I'm driving home I am reminded of one of my favorite shows. Anyone watch "Saving Grace" on TNT? Well its AWESOME!!! And the way my mouth was running off today I thought I was a little like Grace (played by Holly Hunter) on the show with her potty mouth, cigarette smoking and beer drinking ways! Don't smoke. Normally don't curse this way. But did crack open a cold beer when I got home.

Enough rambling and cursing! Thanks for listening!

8 comments:

Bev said...

ahhhh Lisa! I do know!! This week has been a challenge all week!! What is worse are the coworkers who refuse to pull their weight!! So the doc comes to me because they know if they drop it in my lap, I will either do it or make sure it is done. As much as I like kn owing they trust and count on me, why the *F*** can't my coworkers just do the same thing!!!!! ya know????? but I now have the weekend off and I can recover!

Musicmom-Amy said...

You 2 are AMAZING!!! Sorry you had one of those days, Lisa! But I'm sure all your patient's felt like you gave 100% to them. Hope your weekend is better.

Lisa said...

Good weekend so far!

Hear hear about the coworkers Bev! Luckily I had really great staff on for the day!

Christie said...

Sorry about your day Lisa. My week was pretty bad and my Friday the worst. Maybe it was one of those days!!! Glad this one is looking up.

Cracker Scraps said...

Remembering those days all too well and that's what keeps me from going back into nursing.

Lisa, the one thing that you said that I haven't heard very often is the part about wishing your DH could follow you around for a day/week and see how hard you work and what you do. Maybe it would explain why when you ask them to do something they sit there and pick their noses and by the time they get around to it you've done it yourself! I wouldn't have asked if I didn't mean NOW!

I feel this "hospital behavior" spills over into our lives at home and changes who we are, or would be if we weren't forced into the nurse mold. I don't know what to say as to how not to let it happen, it's just part of who we are and what makes us tic even after we're outta the hospital!

Shig said...

Sorry about your communte-I love that I know live only 2 miles away from work! And congrats on getting the docs to obey! I'm not looking forward to the day when they all remember I'm an experienced nurse and can take charge.

I thanks for the comments. I'm such a whore for comments.

Shig said...

And sorry about the typos-I'm typing before the baby can realize I'm not at her side!

UnsinkableMB said...

Oh, Lisa, I can relate to this post!!! A friend of mine told me once about a day so horrible that she came home with a six-pack of beer and drank it in the dark! Yes, no lights on in the house... Now when she says she has a bad day, I ask, "was it a beer-in-the-dark kind of day?" :) Hope you never have one of THOSE days!!!