Monday, September 8, 2008

Stopped me in my tracks

i hope I can get this to work.

This article, The Ice Bag Incident,stopped me in my tracks when I read it. I was dumbfounded by the care this family received, or didn't receive. I'm sure some of the ED nurses were uncomfortable knowing that the family was health care providers but WOW is all I can say. I hope this makes others stop and think also.

3 comments:

Bev said...

oh my. I could only hope this was not my ED. Unfortunately, even though I know it is not my ED every day, it could be my ED on some days. It just all depends on who is working that shift. It takes maturity to be a good nurse and too often we just don;t have it at 21 when we enter the work force as a nurse. At that age we are just uncomfortable with death and haven't developed all the life skills we will have in 5-10 years. How sad that whole episode is.

Musicmom-Amy said...

What a sad thing for this family to have to go through. Let's hope it's not the norm across the country. I've always found nurses to be kind and loving and caring despite the "bad day" they are having. Kudos for what you do Lisa!

Cracker Scraps said...

I understand why the nurses reacted the way they did as per Bev and Amy's comments!

This is one of the reasons I got out of nursing! No time to care, feel, grieve for families touched by such an incident!

IMHO, it's al about "mmove the meat" and I'm sorry the business of hospitals have left the caring aspect of nursing in low priority! For pete sake! No scissors in the ER! Come on now! Get a grip you nurses from the Ice pack incident!

Yes, kudos to Lisa for continuing to "care" really "care" for patients and family! It's not an easy job!